Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Are we alive yet?

I was watching the Global Climate Change concerts hosted by Al Gore, live from England a couple of week-ends ago when I heard the lead singer for the group Metallica call out:
"Are we alive yet?" A rousing shout out came back from thousands gathered at the concert venue Wembley Stadium. "Yes!"

Then I came across this quote from the book "When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better and/or Worse," by Ben Yagoda that echoes what I heard from the Metallica singer.

"I realized some time ago that I have a tendency to divide all experience- buildings, people, movies, songs, weather, roads, hamburgers--
into two categories.

The first category makes me happy to be alive.

The other category makes me sad, or at best neutral.

And in the realm of language, that's the kind of Manichaean division that I care about, and that you'll find throughout this book."

A rock star and an author agree on a fundamental matter. Does your music, does your experience of worship, does your approach to life contribute to the fullness of living?
Not just for yourself, but for others as well. That's a good way for those of us in the church to think about what we're offering God and our neighbors in the life of worship, discipleship, and Christian living. Lots of people outside faith have some real questions about that! Are we becoming more fully alive?

After all, we speak of the Spirit of God as the giver and renewer of life. What makes you alive as a Christian? How can you help others see that faith is about aliveness?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home