Thursday, June 22, 2006

College World Series

The University of North Carolina Tar Heels, my alma mater, is known primarily for its success in basketball. Well, this week right here in Omaha the Tar Heels are set to play for the College World Series Championship after a tense 6-5 win over Cal State Fullerton Wednesday night. I was there! What a great experience it was to attend my first College World Series game with my son Jason, who is home for a few weeks doing a medical school clerkship in family practice medicine before he starts his third year at the University of Missouri. Sitting with him, enjoying a great baseball game together was like an extra added post-father's day present.

Just a few rows below us we saw a t.v. crew camera-man filming a shot of a father holding up his son, who may have been a year old. And I thought about my son Jason's birth nearly 24 years ago in Baltimore, Maryland at Union Memorial Hospital just a short distance from the old Baltimore Orioles Memorial Baseball Stadium.
Watching that father hold up his delightful son to the camera and then seeing the image on the huge jumbo video screen out in center field at Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha, I felt what a deep blessing my own three sons have been in my life.

The Tar Heels game against Cal State Fullerton was really exciting. Behind 2-0 after the first couple of innings, my Tar Heels roared back on home runs and excellent defense. Coming into the ninth inning the game tightened up to 6-5, until the ace of the staff, Andrew Miller came in to pitch the last out, and the Heels moved into the championship game this week-end. I plan to be there.
So does my son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home